Curriculum at Sion
Students at Our Lady of Sion College at the Senior years can create a pathway that allows them to pursue their career goals. Students are able to match their interests and needs by selecting 3 distinct pathways, VCE, VCE VET and VCAL.
The VCE program allows students to
* Undertake just VCE subjects
* Study VCE subjects in combination with a VCE VET program
* undertake an Enhancement study with La Trobe, University of Melbourne or Monash University
Students who choose to undertake a VCE VET program focuses on practical activities and real life learning experiences. It encourages students to learn by doing and working as part of a team. Students can build a unique learning portfolio by adding VCE VET subjects to their VCE program, gaining all the extra benefits of a work placement in a professional environment.
Students who complete a VCE VET program graduate with both a VCE certificate and a VET qualification that has national recognition.
Students who choose to study a combined VCE VET program have the opportunity to
* develop skills
* participate in industry work placements
* enhance opportunities for employment
The VCAL program is a recognised senior secondary qualification. Unlike the VCE, which is widely used by students as a pathways to university, the VCAL focuses on "hands-on learning" Students who do the VCAL certificate are more likely to be interested in going on to training at TAFE, doing an apprenticeship, or getting a job after completing Year 12. A certificate and Statement of Results will be issued to students who successfully complete their VCAL.
The VCAL program allows students to:
* Be flexible and practical senior study program
* Undertake a study program that suits your interests and learning needs
* Have the opportunity to build personal skills that are important for life and work
The curriculum handbooks are designed to assist families find out about the subjects on offer. If you would like further assistance, our staff are happy to assist.